What are Hybrid lenses?
Hybrid lenses combines the best of both soft and gas permeable lenses. The center is Gas Permeable (oxygen breathing) and it is surrounded by a soft lens “skirt.” So it gives the sharpness and clarity of a gas permeable lens and the wearing comfort of a soft lens.
Hybrid lenses are made for people who are nearsighted, farsighted astigmatic, need multifocal, after LASIK, and those that have Keratoconus. Bifocal and Multifocal lenses are special lenses for people who want to see clearly at both distance and at near.
Hybrid lenses are a great choice for people who want to be able to see more crisply than they can with soft lenses, but have difficulty in adjusting to how oxygen permeable contact lenses feel.
Good candidates for hybrid lenses include:
- Those with regular corneal astigmatism
- Those who have trouble with soft toric lens movement
- Those who have a combination of presbyopia and astigmatism
- Multifocal patients who want better vision than soft lenses can provide
- Those who want the visual sharpness of gas permeable lenses but don’t like the way they feel